Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Stamping using masking techniques

Hello all!

I don't know about you, but I have been pulling out my stamps more often lately.  The other day I was playing around with a masking  technique and thought it might be a good one to share here.  It is kind of fun to see all the different looks you can create.

I decided my main focal point would be a flower and I knew I wanted to use yellow ( I have Spring on the brain, I am so ready for it!).  I started out by stamping my flower onto a scrap piece of cardstock.  And trimmed around it with sharp pointy scissors, carefully. I repeated this step so I ended up with these masks, both a positive and a negative of the image.


Next, I stamped the background on my base cardstock, with a background stamp.  I used the soft yellow that I would use later on my flower.
















Next, stamp your main image onto your paper wherever you would like it to sit.


Position your negative mask over your stamped image, hold it in place using a repositionable adhesive.  If you do not own this, use your usual adhesive, just dab it onto your sweater to remove some of the stickiness first.  You can see, I've used my mask a few times, you should be able to, as well.


Now start adding colour to your image, you can use one of these tools or a sponge dauber.


I started with a light yellow around the centre and added a darker yellow to the edges.  Be sure to work from the outside in.  This helps keep the ink from going under your mask.  By using the same colour for your background stamp as you do to colour your image, your background stamp won't be visible on your image.


Here is a quick peak, but you will want to leave your mask in place for the next step.


Now, with your mask back into place.....


Stamp a second background image, in a darker colour, such as the medium tone brown I am using. Only this time, you will only stamp the background image over the flower itself.

 

Your image now has a a layered look.



 The next step is to add some leaves, coming out from behind the flower..  I have chosen this stamp.


Cover your stamped and coloured flower with the positive image mask.  (You can see I have also used this mask a couple of times.)

 

Now go ahead and stamp your leaves in a colour that you like, in a position that works for you.


Here you can see I have stamped two sets of leaves, and have not removed the mask yet.


And here is what it looks like, all together.


I finished up my stamped image by doodling around my leaves, I likeD the solid border around my flower and thought I should recreate it with my leaves.   Then I added the whole project to a card front.


 Thanks for popping by to check out this week's tutorial!

Laura

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment